Thursday, October 21, 2010

sleep feels so good!

so last night, i fed Lydia at 10:15 and put her down for the night. she took a minute to go to sleep, which is kinda unusual...and i got scared. i thought "uh oh. it's gonna be a rough night." so when i heard her fuss a little bit at 3:30, i was super excited that she had made it that long. but she didn't cry, so i waited...and apparently fell asleep! because the next time i heard her, i thought it was a few minutes later only to open my eyes and it was 6:15 in the morning! i couldn't believe it!!! a whole 7 hours of sleep for me! it was fantastic! granted, she usually gives me that long in 2 stretches, but how fantastic does it feel to sleep that much at one time.
i am well aware that this is not always going to be the case, but it is just a huge testimony to me that the sleep habits we are working on building are working! When Lydia was about a week old, i read the book "on becoming Babywise" and decided to jump right in. it makes me sad to wake her once in a while during the day to feed her, but these incredible nights of sleep with a 3 week old baby make it ALL worth it! I'm so not to the point where i could let her cry herself to sleep or put herself down yet. i just love holding her and snuggling her to sleep and will continue to do so until she is ready to do it herself. but it is so cool to see how secure she is in her simple schedule. she eats, then she is awake and alert for a while, and then she starts to close her eyes and falls asleep on me. i just love it!
i just had to document this day so that i can remember it someday when she is wide awake all night and makes me crazy. she's such an angel and as much as i HATE her getting bigger and learning new things, i love to see that i can do things to help her learn the right things since she's gonna do it anyway. :)

2 comments:

Brittany said...

yeah for babywise! I am a huge fan. Hudson is 7 weeks old and he sleeps from 9pm to 530 am! I love schedules and consistency. Now that I have said that I am probably jinxing myself to have a sleepless night tonight... so keep it up girl, cause it works.

Elizabeth said...

we sort of did baby wise..but then had an aunt who visited and ruined it for us so we started doing "Happy Child Healthy Sleep Habits" (which is sort of the same thing - cry to sleep when they are 4 to 6 months but start good habits from the beginning) and it saved us. You are super smart to start this early :)