Monday, November 30, 2009

whAt i did pRe-thANksgiviNg eAtiNg

just gotta post this because i was so proud of myself. On thankgsgiving morning, I got myself up at the crack of dawn to participate in this...
WHAT A GREAT WAY TO SPEND THANKSGIVING MORNING! it was gorgeous out! i ran around oceanside and ended up running the last leg of the 5K on the beach. this is definitely something i will do again and again.
the best part is that i ran the whole thing. there was a day when this would have been no big deal for me, but anyone who knows my anaphylaxis stories and how i haven't ran more than 2 miles at a time since then will understand. i fully intended to walk it. i was just excited to be up and about at the beach on such a glorious day. right before it started, i decided "i'm going to run this. the whole thing." so i moved up to the running section. no, it wasn't my fastest run ever. and no, it wasn't really that long of a run. but i was SO proud of myself. there was a moment when i thought i wouldn't be able to do it, but then this lady i passed had a shirt on with the scripture on the back "i can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." yeah, that's a paraphrase. but it reminded me that i can! so i kept running despite all of the fears rushing through my head, and even picked up the pace for the last mile. as i sprinted through the finish line, i totally cried. yup. i did. i was so proud of myself and SO grateful for a body that is stronger than i give it credit for.

So here's to being grateful for all that we are and pushing past the walls that hold us back from all that we can be.

7 comments:

Brittany said...

way to go! Water find its own level... I too ran a 5K turkey trot on thanksgiving morning. and I TOO tired up at the end. Running is so not my thing and it has been a long time since I pushed myself to do something and actually see it through! Love ya!

Shauna said...

Awesome! Good for you. I love your thought there at the end..."pushing past the walls that hold us back". Truly inspiring.

Mandy Wollenzien said...

Way to go kim! I think running a 5K is a big deal. What a great way to spend Thanksgiving Morning, on the beach.

Patrick and Michelle Hinckley said...

WOW, GOOD JOB!!! I don't think I could do that! So I was reading through my old comments and I saw that you commented!!! You are so awesome! I miss you and I hope things are goign so well!!! Next time I am in Vista we should do a married people date!!!
Love you girl!!!

Carol Joy said...

I am amazed. I know I couldn't do it! Way to go! That's so AWEsome, I'm glad that you had such a good time. ;)

Krista said...

I ran that same race! I didn't see you though. I started in the third group because I knew I would be slow and I didn't want to get passed the whole time. I wish i had seen you!

chip and bex said...

wow, kim that is so cool! love you and miss you!